Friday, September 27, 2013

Moroccan Lentil Stew

We have to continue this slow cooker theme. I've been relying on it all week and I don't see any signs of slowing.

Conveniently, I have been able to schedule all of my recent doctors appointments near Brian's office. This means that after I go to the doctor, Brian takes me to lunch! Isn't that nice? Our typical plan is to grab prepared foods at Whole Foods. It's not Wegmans, but it's pretty good. They have a bunch of soups to choose from, one of which is a Moroccan Lentil Stew.

Yum. It's delicious and super filling. The only thing is that is super spicy and I don't love that. All I needed to do was make the lentil stew on my own, and make it less spicy. 

Mission accomplished:

DSCN3507

It only makes sense that I would love this stew. Did you know that I took Arabic? For two years? And almost went to Morocco for a study abroad program? 

Sadly, my Arabic was not that great. It was actually horrible. The class made me want to cry. One time I DID cry. Enough said- now I enjoy the culture of Morocco by eating their food. 

Moroccan Lentil Stew

Serves 8

Ingredients

  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 5 carrots, chopped
  • 1 head cauliflower, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 cups lentils (I used small green)
  • 8 cups vegetable broth (about 2 cartons)
  • 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 bag (about 2 cups) fresh spinach
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
  • juice of half a lemon

Directions

  1. Prep the veggies (onion, carrots, cauliflower and garlic) and toss into the slow cooker
  2. Add spices and diced tomatoes
  3. Cook on low for 6-8 hours
  4. Add spinach, cilantro and lemon juice- stir and serve

Tip: I chopped up all of the veggies the night before. I put them into a gallon size Ziploc and even added the spices so I didn't have to do any measuring in the morning. I just stored the bag in the fridge and put the broth, lentils and tomatoes next to the slow cooker. In the morning I didn't even have to think!

DSCN3503

This smelled SO good when I got home. Sorry, steam doesn't photograph all that well!

No comments:

Post a Comment