Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Perfect Pumpkin Muffins

Mondays are never my favorite day of the week. It's my busiest day at work though, so the day went quickly and soon I was walking home in the gorgeous fall weather. 

When I arrived home, it got better.

Candy mail

A letter AND a package. A party invite from Brian's family and pumpkin soap and lotion (for me) and candy (for Brian) from my mom.

Not only that, but dinner was ready and waiting (and smelling amazing) when I walked in the door.

DSCN3503

Steam just does not photograph well. This recipe is coming later, but it was so easy- I even chopped all of the vegetables the night before and put them into a Ziploc so that all I had to do was toss it in their yesterday morning.  Easy peasy.

Sorry that's not ready to share yet, but I have something else to make it up to you.

DSCN3488

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

(adapted from Oh She Glows' Mini Whole Wheat Blueberry Breakfast Muffins)

Makes 12 muffins

Ingredients

  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup ground flax seed
  • 1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/8 cup coconut oil
  • 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
  • Coconut oil/ oil mist/ muffin liners
  • Decorating sugar

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375F
  2. Line your muffin tin or mist/spread on oil
  3. In a small bowl, combine milk and vinegar and allow to sit
  4. In a second bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and salt
  5. In a third bowl, combine melted coconut oil with pumpkin puree, maple syrup and vanilla
  6. Add milk to the other liquids then slowly add all of the liquids to the dry ingredients
  7. Once combined, stir in the chocolate chips
  8. Evenly distribute the mixture to make a dozen muffins
  9. Sprinkle on the decorating sugar
  10. Bake for 15 minutes at 375
  11. Allow to cool completely before carefully removing from tin

I love these muffins. I used the vegan muffin base from Oh She Glows, so if you use non-dairy milk and chocolate chips then you have vegan muffins. Eat the batter freely!

DSCN3476

The 'buttermilk' (milk & vinegar) ensures that these are light, fluffy and delicious.

DSCN3483

Lately, I've been needing snacks (adding extra miles to my runs is my excuse!). I make a batch of muffins on the weekend and wrap them individually so that during the week I can grab one as I pack my lunch. For a morning person, I'm surprisingly slow to get ready in the morning so if its not easy, its not going to make it into my bag 50% of the time.

These are the perfect fall snack. And, they get the Brian seal of approval too! Mission accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment