My Wednesday was much better than my Thursday. I was a little worried when I started the day off learning not to put my contacts in after chopping onions (let's just say it was better than the time I learned not to do that with jalapeños). The tears passed and the rest of the day went smoothly.
What was I doing chopping onions in the morning? Another crock pot recipe. I've been using the crock pot like crazy lately.
I was craving some chili this weekend and I usually make chili on the stove top, but I wanted to be able to enjoy the aroma of my chili for several hours so I decided to take it slow.
My mom always made chili with two types of meat- ground beef and chunks of stew meat. It's a fabulous combination. So meaty and delicious. After an afternoon in the crock pot, the chunks of beef were so tender.
Slow Cooker Sunday Chili
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 pound stew meat
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (15 oz) cans of beans- I used 1 kidney and 1 pinto
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil and add the stew meat
- Give the stew meat three minutes to cook on its own, then add the ground beef and garlic and and cook for another two minutes
- Add the meat to your crock pot, then add remaining ingredients
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours, or high for 4-5 hours
- Serve with toppings!
I used low fat Greek yogurt and cheese for my toppings, but you could do sour cream instead of the yogurt and I love avocado on chili too!
I served some corn bread muffins on the side.
Gosh, they were SO bad. I followed the recipe on the bag of corn flour. I could tolerate them covered in chili, but when I tried to eat one the next day on its own I had to throw it out half-eaten. Never again!
The chili though? I will make this again… and again… and again. Try the two-meat-chili and I promise you won't regret it! Thanks mom :)