Thursday, September 26, 2013

Slow Cook on Sunday

My Wednesday was much better than my Thursday. I was a little worried when I started the day off learning not to put my contacts in after chopping onions (let's just say it was better than the time I learned not to do that with jalapeƱos). The tears passed and the rest of the day went smoothly. 

What was I doing chopping onions in the morning? Another crock pot recipe. I've been using the crock pot like crazy lately.

I was craving some chili this weekend and I usually make chili on the stove top, but I wanted to be able to enjoy the aroma of my chili for several hours so I decided to take it slow.

My mom always made chili with two types of meat- ground beef and chunks of stew meat. It's a fabulous combination. So meaty and delicious. After an afternoon in the crock pot, the chunks of beef were so tender.

DSCN3494

Slow Cooker Sunday Chili

Serves 6

Ingredients

  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1/2 pound ground beef
  • 1 pound stew meat
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2 (15 oz) cans of beans- I used 1 kidney and 1 pinto
  • 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
  • 2 cups water

Directions

  1. In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil and add the stew meat
  2. Give the stew meat three minutes to cook on its own, then add the ground beef and garlic and and cook for another two minutes
  3. Add the meat to your crock pot, then add remaining ingredients
  4. Cook on low for 7-8 hours, or high for 4-5 hours
  5. Serve with toppings!

I used low fat Greek yogurt and cheese for my toppings, but you could do sour cream instead of the yogurt and I love avocado on chili too!

I served some corn bread muffins on the side.

DSCN3496

Gosh, they were SO bad. I followed the recipe on the bag of corn flour. I  could tolerate them covered in chili, but when I tried to eat one the next day on its own I had to throw it out half-eaten. Never again!

The chili though? I will make this again… and again… and again. Try the two-meat-chili and I promise you won't regret it! Thanks mom :)

No comments:

Post a Comment