Monday, September 23, 2013

Sprint Four the Cure

Happy Fall! Yesterday was the official first day of my favorite season. I can only hope that the summer heat is behind us and I won't have to see that again until June 2014.

The weather has been fabulous. I arrive at work without looking as though I traveled through a swamp to get there and we can leave our windows open at home and enjoy the fresh air. I can bake all I want without making our apartment feel like the inside of the oven and there is apple cider at the market again.

I'm a happy girl.

Running is also 1,000 times more pleasant. I love running in shorts and a long sleeve shirt- for me, that indicates that the weather I'm running in is perfect- and I've had a lot of opportunities to do that lately!
On Saturday, I even ran a race! I haven't been training for anything, but my friend Liz was helping out with the race and putting a ton of work into it so I figured I'd go to support what she was doing. The race was the Sprint Four the Cure. That 'four' is not a spelling error- this race was organized by the Four Seasons to raise money for cancer research and it was absolutely a Four Seasons caliber event.

DSCN3464

I loved that they had coffee, water, tea and fruit available before the race. I'm not one to eat or drink much before a run, but its nice to have the option.

DSCN3462

And, after the race? There was this:

DSCN3469

Yes, that is a full on Four Seasons buffet breakfast. This is my kind of race.

DSCN3470

I had eggs, a little bit of hash browns, one of the macaroons, a mini croissant and the OJ. Paul's bakery provided the macaroons and croissants and that "Hippie Crack" granola on the side is from Baked & Wired. I haven't gotten to the granola, but I'll probably be nice and split it with Brian.

The race was in Georgetown, so it was only fitting that Georgetown Cupcake make an appearance. Free cupcakes!

DSCN3471

Yum. I grabbed a chocolate hazelnut. I wasn't really in the mood for dessert that early (surprisingly), so I didn't finish it, but it was great. Reminded me of peanut doughnuts- my favorite!

DSCN3472
blurry :(

As for the race itself, I was pretty happy with my time. I haven't being making any effort to run miles below 9 minute pace since my lung collapsed and so a time of 24:24, at 7:52 pace, was pretty good. The course was a little hilly, but it was a lot of short hills so I didn't have too much time to think about how awful it was before I was already headed downhill.

I'm definitely running this race next year!

The rest of the weekend was fairly boring. Brian was out of town visiting a friend and I did a lot of errands and cleaning. I think our weekends are packed until Christmas, so I was glad to have a chance to get organized.

I have TONS of recipes to share with you, but this post is already a monster so I'll just leave you with a few more pics.

There was a GIANT egg in the carton I picked up at the farmer's market this weekend, so I abandoned my plan to make pumpkin pancakes and decided on eggs. This happened:

DSCN3473

That is ONE egg. I was pumped. Turned it into this to use up some market veggies leftover from the week before:

DSCN3475

Eggs, summer squash, tomatoes, bacon and ketchup on homemade whole wheat tortillas. Coffee on the side. Yum!

2 comments:

  1. That looks like a great race!!! Your time is awesome too-- congrats. Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete