Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Good Morning from Washington

We knew before going to bed last night that the government was going to shut down. I woke up to articles about barricades going up all over the city, so I thought I'd head down to the monuments and check it out on my run.

This is what a shut down looks like:

DSCN3535

Lights on as I came up to the Lincoln Memorial.

DSCN3537

No barricades here...

DSCN3536

Looks normal. Apparently the filter was off on the reflecting pool though. I noticed a TON of bugs as I ran down towards the Washington Monument, but I'm not sure if that's related.

DSCN3540

You can walk right into the WWII Memorial, but you will notice that the fountain is not running.

DSCN3545

Those were actually the only barricades I saw, and they're not doing much.

DSCN3547

And, that's it. Very anticlimactic. 

The most exciting part of my run:

DSCN3549

Two foxes and a raccoon just hanging out. I'm not sure that's a good thing. It didn't seem to bother anyone other than me! I don't really run down by the monuments during the summer, so I'm not sure if this is unusual. It freaked me out a little though, so I didn't stick around to make sure that I got a good shot of the raccoon. 

And now, as I do not work for the federal government, I go to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment